Silly + Legal = Sillegal.
I read these in the newspaper this morning. A survey of 4000 people was taken by a television show (which featured a legal drama program) to vote on the top 10 crazy laws in the UK. I assumed it was a UK television network, though the article wasn't clear. Anyway, here are the results:
1. It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament (27%)
2. It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British king or queen's image upside-down (7%)
3. It is illegal for a woman to be topless in Liverpool except as a clerk in a tropical fish store (6%)
4. Eating mince pies on Christmas Day is banned(5%)
5. If someone knocks on your door in Scotland and requires the use of your toilet, you are required to let them enter (4%)
6. In the UK a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants, including in a policeman's helmet (4%)
7. The head of any dead whale found on the British coast automatically becomes the property of the King, and the tail of the Queen (3.5%)
8. It is illegal not to tell the tax man anything you do not want him to know, but legal not to tell him information you do not mind him knowing (3%)
9. It is illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament wearing a suit of armour
10. It is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls of York, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow (2%)
I thought these were pretty funny. You've got to think carefully about #8. I cannot vouch for the truthfulness of these, so before you go hunting for a Scottish archer within the walls of York, please check with your UK legal advisor first. And whatever you do, don't die in Parliament while wearing a suit of armour!