Saturday, February 13, 2010

Lotus Root

Let me introduce the Lotus Root



It's an ugly thing. You first peel it like you would a carrot or potato



Then you slice it. Which is hard. The root is almost like balsa wood



Then you boil it, like you would a potato, which makes it softer. But it's still one of the firmest vegetables I've eaten. After boiling, you cook it with a mixture of soy sauce, sesame oil, and honey (or sugar)



Looks funny, but tastes great. Had I actually seen a lotus root before having this in the restaurant, I probably would have been afraid to try it. I don't know if you can buy this in the USA or not, but I'm sure The Stumbling Mother will search for one.

1 comment:

The Stumbling Mom said...

Yes you can buy them. I go for the more processed variety - all peeled and sliced, packed in plastic. Much easier. I still find it hard to make the connection between this vegetable and that large strange looking root, but the cross section looks very much like what's left when the petals of the lotus falls off. Now you've got me drooling for lotus. I shall venture out today and find some if there's any to be found here in H'ville. Otherwise I'll have to wait til we get back up to NC and the Grand Asia!