Saturday, April 18, 2009

Number Name

Well, I was first introduced to the concept of a number in a name from listening to my Dad's Tom Lehrer records. The introduction to one song went something like this:

I am reminded at this point of a fellow I used to know who's name was Henry, only to give you an idea of what an individualist he was he spelt it HEN3RY. The 3 was silent, you see.

Then I barely remember an interior design store back in the USA that was called Decor8.

In Korea, I continued to encounter this phenomena. Beginning with the singer and dance sensation "Se7en" (his official American website here).

Then we had an office supply store mysteriously called "5ffice". Mysterious, that is, until one day it finally dawned on my thick head that the number 5 in Korean is pronounced "OH", thus giving you OH-FFICE. NOW I get it. I believe this chain has been bought up by Office Depot, however the 5ffice website seems to be still active.

Now we have a singing group 8eight.

So, I have examples using 3, 5, 7 and 8. I guess I need to search for names using 1, 2, 4, 6, and 9. How about S2mbler?

No comments: