Sunday, January 24, 2010

Bird Seed for Rice



Stumbling Mom asked about the "rice thingies" that I've been adding to my rice. Since I just recently bought some, I still have the package. As you can see from the photo above, it looks like bird seed. The lady at the grocery store explained that these are sold depending on how many different grains are included in the mix. Not knowing any better, I chose 15 - the more the better, right? Other choices were 5, 7, 9, and 12. I bought the smallest pack, 800g, which just perfectly fits one of my many empty Costco sour cream jars!



You add about a cup of this "mix" into the rice, and the result is tastier and more colorful rice. I would be curious what exactly each of the 15 grains are. The product title, according to my dictionary, means mixture of miscellaneous grains. That sounds about right.

Chirp Chirp says The Stumbler.

EDIT

I asked my Korean teacher to translate the 15 grains listed in this bird-seed, and here is the result. We're not 100% sure about some of these, but it's reasonably close:

할맥 17% pressed barley
찰현미 15% brown glutinous rice
찹쌀 15% glutinous rice
현미 10% brown rice / unpolished rice
검정현미 8% black rice
흑태 black soybean
백태 white soybean
옥수수 corn
수수쌀 sorghum
서리태 small black soybean
황태 yellow bean
팥 red bean
녹두 mung bean
청차좁쌀 blue glutinous millet
기장쌀 millet

1 comment:

The Stumbling Mom said...

Chirp Chirp indeed! The fat robins in my back yard would be delighted! That certainly makes rice more nutritious. Bring some with you next time you come this way!