Thursday, October 25, 2007

Chobap

A new restaurant opened up this week on the 1st floor of my building. It is called U9, and apparently is owned by the BHC and/or BBQ chicken restaurants (I don't understand the whole story). They serve Donkatsu (something we ate on The Stumbling Parents' visit) and Chobap. I don't understand the sushi / sashimi distinction very well, but I believe Korean Chobap is closest to sushi. It is slices of raw (or marinated or smoked?) fish served on top of small balls of rice. I had been craving this for a couple weeks now, and we never had a chance to try this during the trip. So tonight I had nothing to do so I went down to eat Chobap along with Einstein (I'm reading a super-thick biography of him). I didn't have my camera, so here's a photo I snitched from their website:



I didn't get too much read in Einstein, however. A nice old man came and sat down next to me. I recognize him as a resident in our building. He told me all about his international travels - he has family and business in Germany and USA, besides Korea. And he served in the Vietnam War in the Marines.

When I finished up, after I paid for my food, the owner gave me a box. She said it was a present. Later I figured out it was because it is a new store. When I got back home and opened it, it was a hand towel!



It was good. Next time I'll have to try the Donkatsu, although I think it is much less healthy than Chobap.

1 comment:

allison said...

what biography of einstein are you reading? is it by walter isaacson? he came and gave a talk at our school a couple weeks ago about his einstein book and it was really interesting.