Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Good Bye McD's

One of the few reasons I occassionally visit McDonald's in the USA is their breakfast menu. I really like their Sausage Egg McMuffin. Similarly, that is one of the only times I will visit McD's here in Seoul. I thought it was a good thing that there was a branch right in the subway station I use every morning. In order to keep the unhealthy food at a minimum, I limited myself to stopping there once a week. Twice now I've eaten the Korean version of the Sausage Egg McMuffin, and it is no good. It doesn't taste bad, it just doesn't taste at all. There is no flavor. If I had to guess, the sausage patty they use is different, surprisingly it must have less spices that in America.

Anyway, last week I noticed this small shop across the street from the station, where this lady was making egg and toast sandwiches. I stopped there this morning. The taste wasn't bad, and while different than an American Egg McMuffin, at least it HAD a taste. The eggs were scrambled and mixed with vegetables. She put a slice of ham and cheese on it, and served it folded in half stuffed in a paper cup! I got that and a small box of milk for about $2.50, whereas the sandwich alone at McD's was about $3.00 I believe.







The front "door" was intentionally low like that because it was freezing and windy outside. This lady proceeded to tell me how she had been on a vacation in America. When I asked what city, she started rattling off a list of at least a dozen or more cities, all spread out around the country (from LA to NY to Atlanta, plus many more). I asked if this was in one single vacation, and turns out it was. But it was a 1 month long vacation/ tour.

No comments: